But, with great pizza comes great cost, unfortunately. So, with the help of my glamorous assistant, not to mention life-guru of oft, Amanda, we decided to try our hand at creating our own delicious pizzas from scratch. The results were better than I could have imagined.
For the dough, I scoured the internet for something quick, simple and delicious and came across this recipe from bakingmad.com
The amount of ingredients and the time it took were the two factors that drew me in - just 4 ingredients and a bit of kneading later, I was ready to go.
Ingredients: to make 3-4 medium bases
500g Strong White Bread Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Sachet Easy Bake Yeast
2 tsp Caster Sugar
325 ml warm water
- Put the flour and yeast and salt in a large bowl and mix together. Make a well in the centre of the mix.
- Stir the sugar into the warm water then add to the well in the centre of the dry mix.
- Work for the outer edge and mix all the dry ingredients into the water. When the mix has come together turn out on to a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes. At this stage the dough should be soft and spring back when lightly touched.
- Flour the dough and cover with cling and leave to rest for about 15 minutes.
- If not baking immediately leave the dough wrapped in lightly oiled cling film and palce in the fridge until you are ready to shape and bake.
- Divide the dough into 3 or 4 pieces depending on how many pizza bases you want to make.
- Taking one pieces at a time and roll out on a very lightly floured surface. Ideally the base should be 5mm thick but you can be creative on the shape. Why not try, oval, or square for a change! Place on a baking tray and leave the rolled bases for 15 to 30 minutes to rest. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180 C/ gas mark 6. When ready, add your desired topping and bake for 7-8 mins until golden brown.
Suggested topping ingredients:
1/2 Red Onion
1/2 tube Tomato Puree mixed with small amount of Napolina's Pizza Topping
1/2 packet grated Mozzarella
Selection of chopped and roasted veg (Peppers, Mushrooms and Courgettes)
Sprinkle of Mixed Herbs
S+P to taste
I know how I'll be celebrating pay-day from now on!
Had a go at your own? Why not pop over and upload your photos to Life is Peachy's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/lifeispeachytales
Got a recipe idea for Life is Peachy to try or invent? Email email@example.com with your ideas!